As a member of Richardson Humane Society (RHS), I pledge to satisfy the following conditions:
- Maintain all my rescue efforts as a non-profit endeavor, whether with RHS or as a private individual.
- Conduct all my rescue efforts on a voluntary basis, receiving no compensation for rescue work.
- Educate potential adopters about issues regarding animals in my care, e.g. temperament, health, training, and care.
- Educate myself in areas of service, whether fostering, adoption screening, temperament evaluation, transportation, or educational outreach offered by RHS.
- Respect the privacy of contributors and not solicit contributions from them for the benefit of groups or individuals outside of RHS.
- Disclose all affiliations I have with other Rescue Groups and other non-profit organizations.
- Not use my affiliation/membership with RHS to acquire personal, financial or professional gain, except employment.
- Disclose any and all affiliations with professionals in the pet care industry where I am receiving financial gain by way of employment.
Animals In My Care
I also pledge to satisfy the following conditions regarding animals in my care:
- Ensure that all animals in my care (including personal household pets and other rescues not associated with RHS) are up to date on their shots and heartworm preventative, and are spayed or neutered.
- House rescue animals in my care under sanitary conditions, which meet or exceed all minimum standards as defined by local health and sanitation authorities. The dog will not be allowed to roam, nor will the dog be physically restrained to any inanimate objects (trees, cable run, etc.).
- Provide transportation for appropriate routine veterinary care for fostered rescue animals, including regular inoculations, heartworm testing, and administration of heartworm medication. If unable to personally provide transportation, I will notify the Foster coordinator so transportation can be arranged.
- Make adequate provision to ensure that rescue animals are free of parasitic infestations (fleas, ticks etc.).
- Provide appropriate food, clean water, and shelter for all animals in my care.
- Notify RHS of any aggression or other characteristic that might inhibit the quality adoption of the foster animal. RHS will not knowingly place a vicious or otherwise seriously temperamentally unsound animal in an adoptive home.
- Contact RHS immediately if the foster dog is lost or stolen, or if it dies.
I pledge to support the following guidelines regarding adoptions. RHS will take the following steps to ensure animals are adopted into homes that will benefit both the animals being adopted and the families adopting them.
- Thoroughly interview potential adopters utilizing these methods: written application, phone interview, home visit, and/or face-to-face interview, with the goal of placing all rescue animals in homes that are breed-appropriate and specifically appropriate to each individual animal.
- Require sterilization for all rescue animals. The only exception to this requirement is with a veterinarian’s written certification that sterilization should not be performed due to health problems.
- Review the current veterinary records of all other pets in the prospective adopter’s home prior to placement of the rescued pet. All pets in the household must be current on all shots, neutered or spayed and must be on heartworm preventative.
- Obtain landlord approval for prospective adopters who rent or lease their residence.
- Require that adopters be at least 19 years of age.
- Utilize a written adoption contract which fully discloses all available health and temperament information about each rescue animal.
- Provide follow-up advice and assistance to adopters.
- Take back any rescue animal placed by RHS at the request of an adopter. Refund of donation/fee is at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
- Maintain a waiting list of interested adopters when requests to adopt exceed available animals.
- RHS will not release the original registration papers of any rescue animal to adopter, even if the animal is sterilized.
Interorganizational and Interpersonal Relations
I agree to:
- Abide by all written contracts entered into with a releasing agency or person.
- Abide by the releasing agencies’ guidelines.
- Pay agreed-upon fees to releasing agencies for rescue pets.
- Conduct myself in a courteous manner in my rescue work such that my behavior brings credit to the image of RHS and animal rescue in general.
I understand that RHS will be responsible for all non-emergency vet care necessary while the dog is in my care only if prior authorization has been given by RHS. In case of a medical emergency, the dog will be given necessary care and RHS will be notified immediately thereafter.
I agree that the animal I am fostering will not be removed from my address or disposed of in any way without prior approval of RHS.
I understand that RHS will not be responsible for injury or illness contracted by any dog not belonging to RHS. I agree to hold harmless RHS, or its volunteers, for any liability or damages, should this dog become a problem to myself or others.
Upon receipt of a written grievance regarding a RHS rescuer, RHS agrees to notify said rescuer and provide a forum for response to grievance. Violation of the RHS Code of Ethics is grounds for hearing and/or action by RHS.
I agree and accept all the conditions and terms of the Richardson Humane Society Code of Ethics and have received a copy of the document Print this registration document for your records